Cat's Meow March, 2009

>> Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This month my Cat's Meow is this bracelet, "After The Storm", designed and woven by Olga of MadeByOlga (her shop on the Etsy website). I fell in love with this bracelet the first time I saw it ... which was in an Etsy Beadweavers Monthly Challenge.

Olga says, "Inspiration for the piece comes from my childhood memories about the sea side back home in Latvia. I have embellished it with small pieces of natural Baltic amber and tiny carnelian chips."

I grew up half a world away from Olga on the eastern Connecticut shore. When I first saw this bracelet, my mind instantly carried me to the days of playing on an off-shore sandbar while my grandfather fished from his boat near by. My little fingers carefully sifted through the thousands of shells and rocks washed up by the Atlantic Ocean, loving each one and wondering from where they started their journey.

From the Baltic Sea to the Atlantic Ocean, I feel this bracelet tying itself not only to Olga's memories, but to my memories as well, and reminding me how much I am like someone a half a world away.

Visit Olga's Etsy shop, MadeByOlga, by clicking here.
Visit Olga's blog by clicking here.

3 comments:

Karen Gill hidingplacebeadery.etsy.com March 19, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Lovely bracelet by Olga, and a very sweet story.

Carol Dean March 19, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

That is a beautiful bracelet. Thank you for pointing it out, Swanee! :D

Foxan September 9, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Dear Swanee, thank you so much for this wonderful blog post! I am very touched.

The bracelet has moved from the Baltic coast of Sweden to the other side of Atlantics, to Omaha. I miss it, actually...

Thank you once more!
Hugs,
Olga